Would you like to read more than stories of our kids? Visit the other blog.

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Indoctrination station

In the comments to this post, Eric remarked on our plans to read the Lutheran Hymnal and Small Catechism to our children:


indoctrinate your children in the way they should go so when they are older they will rebel from it...

This hurt Devona's feelings, and ticked me off a bit. But hey, no biggie. We've written things that have done the same to others. After all, we're Lutherans. That's what we do.

But I'm left with a few questions. If reading to your child from the Small Catechism and singing songs to them from the Lutheran Hymnal qualifies as indoctrination guaranteed to create a rebellious monster, what doesn't?

Maybe Liv would be better off if we raised her without absolutes. We could end each day with readings from a variety of religions—Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, and paganism would all be given equal billing as "possible truth."

I'm sure this would develop in our child an excellent moral compass. Give it a try, and let me know how it goes, okay?

Comments (like the one above) I've received from old friends on the blog and in person betray a serious misunderstanding of the place Devona and I have come to in our faith. The fault is probably mine. I can do a pretty bad job of explaining myself. Rather than try to articulate the reasons for our exodus from modern evangelicalsim for the ten-thousandth time -- further categorizing myself as a polemic ass bent on burning all bridges with reasonable Christians -- I thought I'd pose a few questions to my friends and myself.

I don't think I have all the answers, if any. But contemplating these might help us all understand one another a little better.


  • What is your definition of orthodoxy?
  • Does orthodoxy exist on this side of heaven?
  • If it doesn't, what does it mean to be a Christian?
  • If it does, are you under orthodox teaching?
  • How does a person decide whether or not a teaching/practice is orthodox?
  • If a person found orthodoxy, how should he handle unorthodoxy?
  • How did Jesus handle unorthodoxy among the religious?
  • Are we called to handle it in the same way?
  • What is the relationship between orthodoxy and unity?
  • Which is more important?
  • Assuming orthodoxy exists, is it okay to call unorthodoxy "wrong"?
  • Assuming orthodoxy exists, and unity is a goal, how is that goal pursued?

Let me know what you all think. I'm sure all we Lutherans will agree on our answers, and will spend a good deal of time high-fiving in the end-zone after we've strung up Rick Warren and blasted Michael W. Smith to Venus. But hey, some things just can't be helped.