Would you like to read more than stories of our kids? Visit the other blog.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Well, I don't even know what to say...

Bunnie did such an excellent job of reporting on this that I don't feel the need to add or subtract. In most cases when I think that something is worth a good read I'll just post a link, but I think this is so interesting that I'm just going to paste her whole text here to save everyone the trouble, and ensure that they give it a good read. So here you go:

Pro-Choicers Don't Seek Truth

Dennis DiMauro, a leader of Lutherans for Life, wrote the following essay on what pro-lifers are up against in the war against human life:

Talk Radio, Stem Cells, and Postmodernism
I don't know about you, but I love talk radio. I just can't get enough of Rush, Hannity, Imus, and Laura Ingraham, just to name a few. So you can bet that whenever I'm driving in my car, I'll be listening to some banter on topics of current debate. On Friday the 23rd of June, I got a little tired of the conservative talk shows I usually listen to, and I tuned in to the local Air America radio station. Air America is the relatively new liberal talk network, and I like to listen to this station because it gives me a lot of perspective on how the pro-choice side thinks, and how to counter their arguments.

The Al Franken show was on and his guest was Alta Charo, a professor of bioethics at the University of Wisconsin at Madison. Charo is also a board member at the Alan Guttmacher Institute (the research and statistical arm of Planned Parenthood). The topic was stem cells and President Bush's May 24th press conference which praised the so-called "snowflake babies" and their parents. For those of you who haven't heard, "snowflake babies" are children who are born from mothers who adopted other couples' frozen embryos and had them implanted in their uteruses. These embryos are commonly leftover after the in vitro fertilization process, since in vitro often uses only a few of the embryos that are created in this fertility treatment. The rest are frozen, and recent estimates have determined that about 400,000 of these embryos are currently frozen and permanently stored in
U. S. fertility clinics.

In his press conference, President Bush showed the beautiful babies that were the result of these embryo adoptions. And he honored these "snowflake babies" to show that human embryos have value, and should never be killed and utilized for scientific research.

After learning that Al Franken's guest was a Professor at the University of Wisconsin at Madison (long a hotbed of liberal radicalism), and a board member at the Alan Guttmacher Institute (the statistical arm of Planned Parenthood - which is the largest abortion provider in the United States), I expected the normal pro-choice arguments on stem cells. These arguments usually state that embryos are merely "potential" life and that their destruction could provide numerous cures for those suffering from Parkinson's and other neurological diseases. This area was covered, of course, and a few attacks on pro-lifers and the politicians who support the pro-life cause were thrown in for good measure.

But the conversation really got interesting when the discussion turned to when life begins. Al Franken asked Prof. Charo when life begins, and he seemed genuine in wanting to get a definitive answer from her. I was expecting the normal, pro-choice answers of "Life Begins at Birth," or "Life Begins When a Child Can Live On Its Own Outside the Womb."

But I have to admit that I was genuinely shocked by the answer Professor Charo gave. She simply responded, "I Don't Care."

Continue reading "Pro-Choicers Don't Seek Truth"