Would you like to read more than stories of our kids? Visit the other blog.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Book tag

John H tagged me, via Devona. "Everyone's doing it!" I've always been a sucker for peer pressure.

1. How many books do you own?
Between four and five hundred, I'd guess. I don't know where they all came from. I think they reproduce when we're not looking.

2. What was the last book you bought?
Getting Things Done, by David Allen. I could be more of a nerd, but I haven't yet figured out how.

3. What was the last book you read?
Getting Things Done, by David Allen. I guess I "got it done."

4. What are some books that have meant a lot to you?
Getting Things Done, by David Allen. Wait, I think I just figured out how to be more of a nerd...

At the time I read these, they made an impact:

  • Mere Christianty, C.S. Lewis - The entire book was excellent. Not perfect, but great for something to think about. I've always loved Lewis' use of his imagination to explore the Christian faith.

  • The Weight of Glory, C.S. Lewis - This essay (and the other essays included in this collection) made me take a U-turn in my view of life. Prior to reading Weight of Glory, I was a pretty gloomy person. This encouraged me not to be.

  • Celebration of Discipline, Richard Foster - I'd probably disagree with about 80 percent of Foster now, but this book was a landmark in the slow growth of my faith. I read it with three of my best friends over the course of some pretty important years. When we started reading, we were all single and in our freshman or sophomore years of college. By the end, all of us were married and finishing school. I will always have attached to this book countless memories of heartfelt conversations between brothers.

  • Desiring God, John Piper - Similar to Weight of Glory, this one helped me start enjoying life.

  • The Iliad, Homer - Classic stories like Homer's go a long way in preparing a heart for the true myth of Christ Jesus. They also teach you a lot about human struggle and failing, courage, fear, death, and honor.

  • The Odyssey, Homer - See above.

  • The Elements of Style, Strunk & White - Did I mention that I was a nerd?

  • Dune, Frank Herbert - Read this book for any extended period, and you'll start looking at the world differently. When I imagine what being on drugs must feel like, it's a little like it feels to read this. It was written in the sixties...

  • The Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis - Everything I've said about Lewis applies. My mother read these books to me when I was only five years old, and I've re-read them many times since. If the last few chapters of the Last Battle don't fill you with longing, you have no soul.

  • The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, J.R.R. Tolkien - It would be cliche to put these on the list if they weren't so incredible. One of the greatest stories told in the last hundred years.


Next, I guess I'll tag Andy.