Would you like to read more than stories of our kids? Visit the other blog.

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Judge nixes evolution textbook stickers

This story infuriates me. What has happened to the courts in this country? What particularly annoys me is the quote from the attorney against the school board: "They're going to be permitted to learn science unadulterated by religious dogma."

You're telling me that a sticker that carries no religious connotations placed on the cover of a science book imposes religious dogma on all of that book's content?

Now, it's hard for me to say what I think about this without seeing the content of the book, but I'm guessing that it teaches the big bang theory on creation. If so, I think a sticker like this is appropriate.

Things always get muddy when talking about evolution. Many Christians hear the word and immediately think "Atheism!" From the meager bit of science I know, I believe that evolution does occur, but it's certainly not the origin of man. If this science book claims that man evolved from apes, which evolved from slime, which showed up after the big bang, it's teaching something other than just the theory of evolution. So, perhaps the school board's sticker could have been better worded. However...

When and why did schools stop being about education -- teaching people how to think -- and start being about personal agendas?

Apparently, the thrust of the argument of the parents that sued was that the stickers "unfairly singled out evolution" from thousands of other theories about the creation of the world. Wouldn't a textbook that taught only evolution also unfairly single out the theory? What's wrong with informing students that they're only getting one side of the story?